My mistake with the Master Series product was a pretty big setback (see previous post). I’m guessing it set me back about 20-25 man hours in total. Ouch! Live and learn, I guess. The final product is MUCH better though, and I’m happy the problem presented itself sooner than later. I would have been really bummed if I got the car all back together and then noticed the problem afterward. The bright side is that the problem was caught straight away, and it was corrected before putting the body back on and putting the car back together. I’m now done with the pan, and I’m EXTREMELY HAPPY with the final result. 🙂 I must also say that PM Industries (specifically Pat) was extremely helpful throughout this whole project. I can’t speak highly enough of Pat and his company. Thanks so much Pat! Here are some pictures of the stripped pan, primer coat, and the *final* top coat:
Top Of Pan Stripped, Degreased, and Cleaned:
Mastercoat Silver Primer:
Master Series AG111 Top Coat – Final Product – Looks GREAT!
Here are some “in progress” pictures of the undersides of the fenders. I’ve primed them using Master Series Mastercoat Silver Permanent Rust Sealer/Surfacer Primer (of course). One of the things I’m going to have State Of Mind Customs do is put a chipguard undercoat on the undersides of the fenders. I mentioned the chip guard in a previous post. The chipguard they’ll put on will match the body paint color, which will be much nicer than if I just put some black undercoating on myself.
Images Of All Four Fenders After Removing Some Surface Rust, Degreasing, and Cleaning…
Completed Two Coats Of The Master Series Mastercoat Silver Permanent Rust Sealer/Surfacer Primer. All ready for chipguard. =)
I was so happy with the Master Series Mastercoat Silver Permanent Rust Sealer/Surfacer Primer and their AG111 top coat, that I decided to put it on the top of the pan too. There was a coating of a Wurth undercoat type product already on the top of the pan (installed by the previous owner) prior to me attempting this. It looked good, but I really liked the durability and the look of the Master Series product. I had done a test to see if the Master Series product would lay down nicely over the Wurth product, and my test seemed successful. I cleaned the top of the pan, leaving the Wurth undercoat in place, and then started with the Mastercoat Silver and then the AG111. It looked AWESOME!!!! UNTIL it started to bubble up on me. It ends up the Wurth product is *petroleum* based and the Master Series products are *not*compatible with petroleum based products. Basically, the Master Series product started disintegrating the Wurth undercoat that it was covering. I had no choice but to completely remove the MasterSeries products, and the Wurth undercoat product. Please don’t make the same rookie mistake I made. It’ll save you a lot of time and hard work! Stay tuned for another blog post highlighting my progress and my second attempt at laying down the Master Series product. Here are some pictures from this part of the project:
The top of the pan, prior to starting
Here it is after the primer
The final top coat… Looks awesome (just before bubbling up on me)!
I was unable to capture the bubbles in an image, but here’s a picture showing the beginning of my efforts to strip it all off…
75% of it came up in sheets like this while using a putty knife and a heat gun… The other 25% is what took the longest to get off.